We have seen two cases of mushroom poisoning in the past week, the warm wet weather is perfect for mushrooms to grow. The symptoms that dogs can show vary enormously depending on type and quantity eaten, and can vary from gastrointestinal signs such as vomiting, diarrhoea and abdominal pain to unusual neurological signs like ataxia (wobbily legs), incontinence, temporary blindness and/or hallucinations, seizures and coma type signs. These symptoms can come on suddenly or gradually.
There is no specific treatment other than supportive therapy involving intravenous fluids, activated charcoal and treatment of specific symptoms as they arise, but prompt action is preferable.
Thankfully both our cases recovered within 24 hours, but they both needed to be hospitalised and treated during this period.
Please check your gardens for any mushrooms, they can be quite difficult to spot but tend to grow in shadier areas, and also be vigilant when out walking your dogs.